WATER ASSISTED LIPOSUCTION
lipoedema [GO BACK]
Lipoedema (Painful Fat Syndrome) is a progressive condition that affects many women.
- Legs are enlarged bilaterally and symmetrically (arms can also be affected)
- Family history (genetic pre-disposition)
- Change is noticed in the limbs when significant hormonal events occur such as puberty, pregnancy, menopause
- Diet and exercise have no effect
- Waist is small in proportion to the thighs, buttocks and legs
- Feet and hands are exempt and a “bracelet” effect can appear just above the ankles and wrists
- Legs/arms can be painful to touch
- Bruise easily
- The fat is soft to touch and wobbly which the skin can be cold to touch and skin has a cellulite appearance
At this time there is no cure and research is in its infancy. However, there are ways to manage the condition. These include conservative treatments such as a low inflammation diet, low impact exercise, vibration plates, MLD therapy, Endermologie, Compression garments, Sequential Intermittent Pneumatic Compression and Yoga.
Liposuction is a surgical treatment to remove stubborn fat, limit disability and slow disease progression and avoid permanent lymphatic dysfunction. Water Assisted Liposuction is a precise and gentle technique where the cannula sucks fat tissue out has an attached waterjet that separates and removes the fat cells from the surrounding tissues with less damage to the lymphatics. Patients who are proactive with conservative treatments respond better to surgery.
Dr. Somia has been successfully treating lipoedema patients since 2013. To schedule a time to see Dr Somia please call us on 9387 2110 or send us an email via our contact page.